preeminent 2017

What If I Disagree with the Adjuster on My Property Insurance Claim?

house on fire

Homeowners’ insurance disputes can arise when your home is damaged, yet the adjuster your insurance company sends does not take into account every detail of the damage or undervalues what repairs need to be performed. Unfortunately, many people do not realize they have the legal right to disagree and dispute the adjuster’s findings using their own public adjuster and an insurance claim law firm in Florida, like here at Silver, Bass & Brams.

What Does an Insurance Adjuster Do?

Insurance adjusters are responsible for determining the value of property damage you received. They take into account the details contained in your insurance policy, like whether you have replacement cost coverage or fair market value replacement. In addition, they can schedule an in-home visit to see the damage first-hand and take pictures.

Once they have gathered all the information they require, they prepare a report detailing the damage and the costs to fix the damage. The report also shows any applicable deductibles and adjustments for the type of property replacement coverage you have.

What Do Homeowners Insurance Companies Do After Receiving an Adjuster’s Report?

At this point, the homeowners insurance company may issue you a check based on the adjuster’s report. However, if you do not agree with this amount, DO NOT cash the check. Cashing the check could be your acceptance of the adjuster’s report and could limit your legal rights and options.

If your check is not cut, then your insurance company normally contacts you and says this is the amount they are willing to pay for the damages and requests you to sign some forms before issuing the check. Signing these forms is similar to cashing the check, and it indicates your acceptance of the adjuster’s findings.

For Whom Do Insurance Adjusters Work?

Insurance adjusters can work for public and private companies. Often, homeowners insurance companies will have their own adjusters they send to their clients’ homes whenever a claim has been filed. The objective of this type of adjuster is to clear a set quota of claims each week and to do so for the least amount of money.

The key thing to remember is they work for the insurance company, not you. The goal of insurance companies is to make money, not pay it out in claims. This is why there are insurance claim disputes—because the amount the adjuster recommends is not truly reflective of the damages.

homeowners insurance filing

On the other hand, public adjusters work for the company or individual that retains their services, much like a real estate and property lawyer. They follow the same guidelines and procedures to review the damages and prepare their reports. They can also review the findings the insurance company’s adjuster reported and see if this amount is indeed accurate.

If you are entitled to more money than what is being offered, they work with your lawyer to help you dispute the claim with your insurance company and receive a fair settlement. If you have filed a property damage claim with your insurance company and are not sure if you are getting a fair settlement offer, do not hesitate to contact Silver, Bass & Brams at 561-659-0551 for a free consultation appointment today!

What Types of Cases Do We Handle?

We can help you seek reimbursement for any type of home insurance case, from storm damage insurance claims to burst pipe claims. Give us a call whenever you suffer property damage that’s covered by an insurance policy, particularly if you’re filing: